Saturday, August 15, 2015

Tidy-up follow-up!

I have made it through the first five sub-categories of the first category, which is clothing: tops, bottoms, hanging clothes, socks, and underwear.  I got rid of two large boxes of clothes.

A helpful question,  as you're sorting: If I saw this in a store instead of in my house, would I want to buy it?  If it wouldn't tempt you in a window, you don't really love it.

There were a lot of "But I used to love this" items.  "Used to" love isn't the same as loving it now. You can enjoy the memories of wearing certain clothes without having to keep them in your home.

"But what if this comes back in fashion?"  Am I really going to live long enough for green-and-purple checked, pleated, high-waisted pants to come back in fashion?  And if I do, why wouldn't I have learned my lesson the first time around?

"If I lost ten pounds, this might fit again."  So every time you see it in your closet, it'll make you feel fat.  Toss it, and if you actually lose ten pounds, celebrate by buying something new.

"But I just bought this not too long ago."  And if you keep it in your house another four years, you'll learn to love it?  Cut your losses, and get rid of it.  I found a bra, with the tags still on it, in the back of my lingerie drawer, the elastic already deteriorating from age.  Give it away while someone else can still get some use out of it.

I'm stalled out right now on the next subcategory, bags, because I most likely have tote bags, backpacks, and purses scattered in various closets all over the house.  Making the mess that will result from hunting for all that stuff will have to wait for next weekend.

No comments:

Blog Archive