Thursday, December 1, 2016

Book review: The More of Less by Joshua Becker

The forty-ninth book I read in 2016 was The More of Less: Finding the Life You Want Under Everything You Own by Joshua Becker.  Becker is a minimalist by both conviction and trade, running a blog/website on the subject.

Under the influence of Marie Kondo, I picked up this book hoping for more tips for decluttering.  Ultimately, however, I felt this book was a waste of time when I'd already read The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up.  Becker spends most of this book arguing why minimalism is a helpful philosophy and recounting anecdotes of people who have adopted it: he focuses on the why rather than the how, whereas I stand already convinced of the usefulness of decluttering but need bite-sized chunks of strategy to motivate me to get at it.

In the end, if you've already decided to downsize, Kondo's books are more helpful, as she provides a step-by-step method to get where you'd like to go.  If you want a infomercial for minimalism, go with Becker.

No comments:

Blog Archive