Thursday, September 22, 2011

"Person of Interest" (Spoilers!)

We watched the pilot tonight because I have plenty of residual good will for Jim Caviezel after "Frequency" ($7.19 at Amazon at this writing?  If you don't have it, buy it; it rocks.) and "The Count of Monte Cristo" (Bears very little resemblance to the book, which is beyond excellent, yet the movie somehow manages to be excellent on its own terms.).  Tommy almost talked me out of it ("We can just wait for the DVDs!"), but I tuned in anyway.  Honestly, with "24" off the air, we have our weekly viewing pared down to just "Chuck" (which is in its last season itself) and "Castle" (about which a separate blog post soon), and we hate to muddy up our schedule with any more "must-see" shows.

I thought it was pretty good, but I don't much trust my own judgment in situations like this.  I tend to let my affection for an actor bleed into my opinion of a show; it took outside intervention from Leslie to break it to me that, despite my "Frasier"-based loyalty to Kelsey Grammer, "Back to You" wasn't a good show.  Pilots tend to have a weak "A-plot" due to the amount of time they have to spend setting up the premise (My one quibble with "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog" was the two-dimensionality of the love interest, but once I got to the end and realized it wasn't an episode but an origin story, it all made sense;  the love interest in an origin story is supposed to be paper-thin.), but I was pleased to see that the supposed victim turned out to be the perp instead of the damsel in distress.  And I got my Jack Bauer fix from the scene where the lackey thinks he's about to kill Jim Caviezel's character and Caviezel laughs and tells him not to worry, he's going to let him live before turning the tables on him.  For now, they've got me willing to tune in again next week.

No comments:

Blog Archive