Friday, June 10, 2011

We don't need no stinking handymen!

Remember this pic?  The fence got much worse before it got better, as the crossbars on our neighbor's side rotted away and most of the panel fell, slat by slat, into our yard.  But today it did get better, as a subcontractor with our roofing company came out to replace that section.  He brought his wife and kids with him, including a five-year-old boy Eric had a good time playing with in the backyard while his dad worked. 

I'm afraid I insulted the man when the job was done, though, by asking if he was a general handyman.  I had heard the roofing guy talking to him about a drywall job and thought that people who could do just about anything, from fencing to drywall, were known as handymen.  The guy who fixed our drywall after plumbers cut holes in our walls a few years ago had "handyman" on his card. But apparently, I was wrong.  "No, I'm not a handyman," he replied, taken aback.  "I'm a contractor."  So never ask anyone if he's a handyman unless he bills himself as that. 

No comments:

Blog Archive