Friday, May 6, 2011

What we're reading now

When Faith finished Little House on the Prairie, she had her choice of four books to read next: The Hobbit and the next book in three series she's already been reading -- The Road to Oz, Beezus and Ramona, and All-of-a-Kind Family Downtown.

Not surprisingly, when it came right down to it, she shied away from tackling The Hobbit next: That's a lot of long chapters of small print, with no interior illustrations. Instead, she went for the second book of the All-of-a-Kind Family series. I had to buy a used copy from Half.com, as all of the books but the first and last seem to be out of print. (And how random is that?)

She likes reading about the girls and their family, and we tie in the various Jewish holidays they celebrate with the Bible stories she knows. Ella read a story to Sarah out of The Red Fairy Book, and she was very excited to discover that we have the same book; she wanted to read what the girls in the book were reading.

We've talked about how authors like Sydney Taylor, Maud Hart Lovelace, and Laura Ingalls Wilder wrote books about their own childhoods. She said she wanted to write a book about what it's like for her growing up but was worried because there's not anything interesting about her childhood. I told her that there wasn't anything very out of the ordinary about Laura's childhood, or Betsy and Tacy's, or Ella and her sisters' either, at the time; it's just that as they grew up, things changed, and by the time they were grown-ups, little girls didn't do the same things they had done anymore. By the time she's grown up, her childhood might look a lot more interesting to little girls who grow up differently.

Then again, maybe not. She is growing up in my house, after all, and I'm pretty boring. Either way, she's 2 chapters from being done with the book, so it looks like I need to go back to Half.com and look for More All-of-a-Kind Family.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

I'll forgive Faith for suddenly getting all grown up because she's at my favorite age for young readers -- when the classics of my childhood are still of interest and before whatever Sweet Valley Twilight Diary trend means she's reading new stuff I won't know.

I loved the All-of-a-Kind Family books and still have my set, even the Ella-centric one. What character is Faith's favorite? I was a Sarah, not unsurprisingly.

Some other suggestions for her book list:

historic novels by Dorothy Gilman Butters -- She's better known for her mysteries, which include the Mrs. Polifax series, but before those she wrote young adult novels such as Girl in Buckskin and Ten Leagues from Boston Town. I've only known them as library books, and they're old enough that they might all be discarded now, but if she shows any interest in history, they're worth hunting.

Similarly, there are Elizabeth George Speare's books. Most girls know The Witch of Blackbird Pond, but I preferred Calico Captive, about a youngster kidnapped by Indians with her two siblings who ends up in Montreal. Based on a true story, too. I'd say she's still at least a year away from these.

The Lemonade Trick by Scott Corbett and any Encyclopedia Brown books (Donald Sobel, I think). These are intended for boys, but are still lots of fun. I'd imagine you're familiar with EB and his solve-it-yourself mysteries. The "trick" series books are mostly out of print now, sadly, but involve experiments going awry with a boy's mysterious chemistry set. Enjoyable, with some subtle messages since he usually gets into his predicaments trying to do something he shouldn't (win a contest, sabotage a rival baseball team, etc.).

Mandy by Julie (Andrews) Edwards -- the best orphan book ever. How, considering its pedigree, it has never been made into a movie, I don't know. Practically perfect in every way.

No Flying in the House by Betty Brock. She's just the right age for what was my favorite book growing up. I never even had my own copy -- I had to borrow and reborrow Cindy Kametches's. So imagine my delight when it suddenly came back into print ten or fifteen years ago. It's utterly charming and a little sad and wonderfully illustrated, and you must get a copy now. (And never tell me if she doesn't like it.)

Blog Archive